Endoscopic Correction of Vesicoureteral Reflux Using Dextranomer/Hyaluronic Acid Copolymer (Deflux) in the Philippines

Endoscopic Correction of Vesicoureteral Reflux Using Dextranomer/Hyaluronic Acid Copolymer (Deflux) in the Philippines
PropertyValue
Title:Endoscopic Correction of Vesicoureteral Reflux Using Dextranomer/Hyaluronic Acid Copolymer (Deflux) in the Philippines
Author/Abstract:Rodolfo I. De Guzman, MD and Jose Dante P. Dator, MD

Department of Urology, National Kidney and Transplant Institute


Objective: Endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux has evolved as a viable alternative to open surgery. This study was conducted to present and assess the initial experience with endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux using the Deflux system. Materials and Methods: We presented our experience with endoscopic treatment using Deflux in 11 pediatric patients diagnosed to have primary vesicoureteral reflux. The patients’ preoperative ultrasound, renal DMSA scan and VCUG were documented. These patients underwent endoscopic injections of Deflux and were followed-up 3 months after surgery with a repeat ultrasound and VCUG. A repeat renal scan was done 6 months after surgery. Results: 81.8 percent of the patients had a positive response to treatment on follow-up with VCUG. Complete resolution of VUR was seen in 36 percent of patients. Thirty six percent of patients had normal renal scan 6 months after surgery while the remaining 64 percent had cortical scars. Conclusion: Our initial experience yielded encouraging results with a positive response in 81.8 percent of patients with short-term follow-up. Complete resolution of VUR was seen in 36 percent of these patients. 18.2 percent of patients had treatment failure and will need to undergo surgical correction.

Key words: endoscopic correction, vesicoureteral reflux, deflux
Filesize: 233.87 kB
Filetype:pdf (Mime Type: application/pdf)